Last weekend was full of intense shooting for “Arose The Coward” using the Panasonic AF100, of course. Sunday was a particularly long day. Since I started using the AJA Ki Pro Mini, there has been an ongoing problem with it; every so often, it would freak out and delete clips, or spontaneously rename them. I FINALLY figured out why it has been doing this, and corrected the problem.
I thought of the solution while I was driving to set on Sunday. I was thinking about what could possibly cause these issues, and it hit me. When I bought my Fuji X100 stills camera, there was a known issue regarding downloading images from the camera to an iPad. When the SD card was reinserted into the camera, it would cause the X100 to freak out and become unresponsive for about thirty seconds. This was due to the fact that Apple iOS was saving hidden files to the SD card when it was inserted into the iPad’s card reader. This is not a new issue; Mac OS has always saved hidden files to media that is mounted onto the system. However, the Fuji didn’t know what to make of them, and this caused problems.
Habitually, when I’ve used the Ki Pro Mini on set, instead of reformatting the card in the unit, I would simply delete the files and then empty the trash on my Macbook Pro, because it was a lot faster. It dawned on me this weekend that that was probably what was causing the Ki Pro Mini to freak out; hidden files left on the CF cards by Mac OS.
So, I made it a point to always reformat the card in the Ki Pro Mini after dumping clips, and sure enough, the problem hasn’t resurfaced. Yay me.
Last weekend saw the start of my latest project with Machina Cinema, a short entitled “Arose The Coward,” which is being filmed on my Panasonic AF100. I’ve recently made some upgrades to my system, and I’ve been looking forward to putting them into service. I switched out the Kipon Canon EF to M43 mount for the new Redrock Micro LiveLens mount adapter that allows electronic interface with the Canon lens aperture. It’s pretty cool, although it doesn’t work with all the EF lenses. Not sure why. It works great with the lens I need it for most, though, which is the 16-35/2.8 L. It also works with my 70-200/2.8L IS, and my 300/2.8 L IS. However, it does not work with my 24/1.4L, which is a serious bummer, as that’s my go-to low-light lens.
For the start of production, I outfitted the AF100 with a Ki Pro Mini ProRes422 recorder, which I’ve tacked a Hytron 140 battery onto for field work. A fully charged 140 will power the Ki Pro Mini for at least 5-6 hours… pretty handy on set.
Below are some photos from the first day on set. Friend Kevin Sloan recently acquired a Steadicam Provid and was looking forward to trying it out on set. As luck woud have it, the entire first day called for Steadicam.
Friend and filmmaker Sam Lerma used my AF100 kit again last Saturday, for some pickup shots for his upcoming short, “Lilia,” which has now wrapped principal photography and has moved on to post. It promises to be a very nice film, indeed. More updates on its status will be posted here when they become available.
“Lilia” director of photography, Yuta Yamaguchi, made use of a Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L zoom mated to the AF100 via the Kipon EF adapter. Most of the shots were hand-held. The AF100, being such a light-weight camera, is quite balanced in the field.
Friend and local filmmaker Sam Lerma decided to go “non-DSLR” for his next film, a short entitled, “Lilia.” Instead, Sam and DP Yuta Yamaguchi opted to rent my AF100 to shoot the project. After setting up the camera for them this morning, I snapped some stills on set with my 5D2 and Zeiss 50/1.4 ZE.
I’m excited to see how this film turns out. There has been a lot of buzz about it in the local film community, and I know from personal experience that Sam, Yuta, and producer Ralph Lopez are all guys who are very passionate about film, and are dedicated to making a fine film.